916 vs 999 Gold. Which is better?

Ever feel confused about the difference between 916 and 999 gold?

Let us help you to know more about the different types of gold purity in the market, for you to make better decisions when purchasing gold jewellery and ornaments.  

Different Gold Purity Types

There are various types of gold purity with different “Karat” values (Karat - unit in which gold is measured). The most common ones are 14k, 18k, 22k, and 24k – the purest form of gold you can purchase (also known as 999 Gold). 

different gold purity levels


999 Gold

999 Gold is the purest form of gold (24K), with a gold content of 99.9%. Due to its high purity level, designs for 999 Gold jewellery and ornaments tend to be more detailed and intricate. 

With its high-quality percentage, 999 Gold ornaments and jewellery would be more expensive, making it the best gold type for trade-ins as it has a higher value.


916 Gold

916 Gold refers to metal with a gold content of 91.6%, with the remaining 8.4% mixed with other alloys. 916 Gold is the most common purity for gold jewellery due to its durability compared to 999 gold. Hence, it is more suitable for gold jewellery and ornaments that are worn daily. 

As 916 gold ornaments are mixed with other alloys, they can be used to produce different colors like white and rose gold. 


916 vs 999 Gold






Trade-in Value





Which is better?

It all comes down to individual preferences, from your motive for purchase to the designs you are searching for. There is no ideal or ‘best’ type of gold. Both 999 and 916 Gold have their pros and cons. What’s important is to shop within your budget and consider factors such as the designs you are looking for, design availability, and how frequently you wear your gold jewellery. 


Here at Chip Lee Jewellery, we offer a wide range of 916 and 999 gold jewellery selections to find the perfect jewellery you are looking for. Look at our products page or head down to any of our outlets to view them!

Leave a comment

Please note, comments need to be approved before they are published.